The History of TLC Meals on Wheels
1954 – The Beginning
The first American home-delivered meal program began in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in January of 1954.
1965 – Littleton
Virginia Baker added neighbors to the lunches she prepared for her parents. In 1967, she founded Town of Littleton Cares as her service had grown to the point of needing the kitchen of First Presbyterian Church and volunteers to help prepare and deliver the lunches. In 1968, the organization was officially incorporated.
1972 – The Bradley House
Littleton Housing Authority erects six-story apartment building for seniors. City of Littleton directs the Housing Authority to provide a kitchen for the Town of Little ton Cares Meals on Wheels Program. From 1982 until 2007, Jan Andrus directed the program and helped it grow significantly.
2009 – Ames Building, Centennial
Littleton Public Schools re-purposed an elementary school for community service as fewer young children and more senior adults occupied the district. At the invitation of LPS, our program gained a kitchen with capacity to serve the growing senior population as well as improved parking, storage, and office space. Our legal name was changed to TLC Meals on Wheels. We entered a partnership with Whole Foods Market Southglenn to distribute donated groceries.
Since August 2008
Since August 2008, Phil Miller has served as the Executive Director. In April 2011, Diane McClymonds became the Director of Operations and coordinates volunteer activities and event planning. Amy Hermsen is the Administrative Assistant and handles most client concerns.